Landlord Information

Rossen Real Estate is known for being the pre-eminent practitioners of the Real Estate business in the Western Suburbs and located in a prominent office with an attractive window display the Company has a high profile.

Rossen Real Estate offers first class service to their Clients and you have peace of mind that you are not just dealing with a Junior Staff member, but with an Executive Staff Member with vast experience. 

We understand that every Client and situation is different, we are confident of our abilities and proud of what we do. Each challenge is delivered with exceptional service tailored to meet each Client’s needs.


Our point of difference:

  • We come with Testimonials from real people
  • Communication is the key at Rossen Real Estate. We will talk you through any process and keep you up to date. You also have direct contact with the Property Manager at all times.
  • Innovative marketing to find you a quality tenant and to minimise the vacancy period as best as possible.
  • To us you are not just a Client, you are a Valued Client and we appreciate your support of our Company and we will always treat you with the utmost respect.


The appraisal process will need to be conducted first.  By contacting Rossen Real Estate, we will attend your investment property and provide you with a market rental analysis of what rental price you could achieve for your property. We will also discuss our fees and advertising strategy with you. 

The signing of the Exclusive Management Authority will need to be executed once you are happy to proceed with our services.  You are welcome to attend the office or Rossen Real Estate can take the time to come to you.  We will work around your schedule.  Our aim is to go through this process with you in detail, so that there is no miscommunication between you, as the Client, and Rossen Real Estate, to offer you exceptional service.


Presentation of the property is the key to gain quality tenants.  We will provide tips and ideas to present the property as attractive as possible and ready for professional photos. We also suggest a floor plan to show the size and layout of the property.  Tenants love this idea and it is a great marketing strategy

Rossen Real Estate advertise on all the main Websites, including, and in today’s technology-based age, we also focus on social media networks, such as Facebook (

We will provide you an update of enquiries and potential tenants on a weekly basis and provide recommendations from feedback received.

Our aim is to minimise the vacancy period to the best of our abilities for your investment property so that you can start gaining income.


Rossen Real Estate evaluates thoroughly by checking current and previous rental history, checks character references and gains confirmation on employment or visa checks.  Once we have gathered all the information, we will contact you as the Owner to gain approval or your disapproval of the application.

Once approval is gained, Rossen Real Estate will draw up the necessary documentation (Tenancy Agreement), including any special terms and conditions (within guidelines of the Residential Tenancies Act) and collect the required 4 weeks security bond and 2 weeks rent.  We will also lodge the bond with the Bond Administration and provide you a copy of the Tenancy agreement for your records.

Now you can relax!


Rossen Real Estate is here to manage your property and you will be kept up to date with all maintenance issues and other information regarding your investment. As your Agent, we will also keep you up to date on current Legislations that has to be followed as per the Residential Tenancies Act.

Our duties include but are not limited to:

  • Advice on matters such as rental values, rent reviews, insurance and any repairs that should be done before the property can be let
  • Advertising for tenants, selecting tenants and letting the property
  • Collecting and lodging the bond with the Bond Administrator (the Department of Commerce) in accordance with the Act
  • Collecting rent payments
  • Preparing a property condition report at the start of the tenancy and checking the property’s inventory
  • Inspecting the property on a quarterly basis and ensuring it is suitably maintained
  • Paying accounts on your behalf such as water service charges, council rates; etc
  • Providing you with regular financial statements
  • Attending court on your behalf should a dispute arise with tenants
  • At the end of the tenancy, preparing a property condition report and finalising matters relating to the bond

Rossen Real Estate will provide you details of inspections completed and maintenance that is required.

Insurance is a major necessity. You will be required to have adequate building insurance. This should cover public liability and house contents owned by you (tenants insure their own contents separately).

Strata properties will be covered by the Strata Company for the building only, but will exclude contents such as carpets, curtains, blinds, light fittings and appliances.

We strongly recommend you also take out Landlord Protection Insurance, which is designed to cover many of the risks associated with owning a rental property. A good policy should provide cover for malicious or accidental damage, loss of rent and theft by a tenant, as well as legal expenses and legal liability.


Minimum levels of security

Residential tenancy laws in Western Australia have always required Lessors to provide and maintain locks or other devices to ensure rental premises are 'reasonably secure'.  Minimum levels of security standards have now been defined and your rental property must meet these standards.

These security measures include:

  • Main entry door – either a deadlock or a key lockable screen door to Australian Standard AS 5039-2008.
  • All other external doors (excluding balcony doors where there is no access to the balcony except from inside the premises) – a deadlock or, if a deadlock cannot be fitted, a patio bolt lock or a key lockable security screen to Australian Standard AS 5039-2008.
  • Exterior windows (excluding windows fitted with security grilles to Australian standard AS 5039-2008, windows on, or above the second floor of the building and where the window is not easily accessible from outside the premises) – must be fitted with a lock that prevents the window from being opened from outside. Does not have to be a key lock.
  • Main entry light – an electrical light that can illuminate the main entry to the premises must be fitted to or near the exterior of the premises and be operable from inside the premises.
  • A deadlock is defined by reference to Australian Standards as, ”A bolt that is not actuated by a spring. When locked the bolt cannot be returned by end pressure”.

Exclusions apply, including residential premises that are on the Register of Heritage Places, and land zoned for agricultural or rural use under a local planning scheme. The requirement for a light at the main entry does not apply if a strata company is responsible for the lighting to the main entry. For commercial reasons, you may want to provide additional security measures. For example, if you choose to have keyed window locks or a security alarm it will improve the value of the property and may help you retain Tenants.

Residual current devices

You must ensure at least two residual current devices (also known as safety switches or RCDs) are professionally installed to protect all power point and lighting circuits in your rental properties before they are leased or sold.

For common areas of strata schemes at least one RCD is to be fitted to protect power points and lighting circuits.

Penalties of up to $15,000 for individuals and $100,000 for Bodies Corporate may apply if RCDs are not fitted. Ask for a no-obligation quote from a licensed electrical contractor before authorising installation and have the contractor give you an Electrical Safety Certificate afterwards.

Smoke alarms

You must ensure the rental property has smoke alarms as required by law. Most dwellings built since 1997 already comply with the requirement to have professionally installed smoke alarms.

Where mains-powered (hard-wired) smoke alarms cannot be fitted (a common issue in multi-storey buildings), approved battery powered smoke alarms must be fitted before any new tenancy agreement commences.

Mains-powered smoke alarms also contain rechargeable batteries so both kinds must be less than 10 years old (the whole alarm – not just the battery). The year of installation should be visible upon removal of the cover.

Note: A smoke alarm must be replaced when it reaches its expiry date, or, if there is none know, when it is ten years since installation. The yearly changing of batteries as they run out is likely to be considered household maintenance that the Tenant may be responsible for if it is reasonably accessible to your particular Tenant. However, the overall responsibility for ensuring there are working smoke alarms as required by the Building Regulations 2012 is the Lessor’s.

There are new requirements for new house and apartments built after 1 May 2014 where more than one smoke alarm is required to be installed.

Swimming pools and spas

Unless the written agreement states otherwise, the Tenant is responsible for keeping the pool or spa and any associated equipment in a properly treated and clean condition and for observing all legal requirements relating to pools or spas during the period of the tenancy.

You are responsible for ensuring the pool is child safe and complies with pool safety standards. Local government authorities enforce requirements for swimming pool and spa enclosures.

Under the Building Regulations 2012 the occupier of a property is also responsible for pool fencing; however, it is ultimately the Lessor’s responsibility as the Act requires the lessor to be responsible for complying with building, health and safety laws.

The Building Commission produces several publications regarding pool fencing laws that are available on its website at swimming-and-spa-pools.

At the start of the tenancy you should make sure the water is clean and chemically balanced and the pool and equipment are serviceable. You should also provide the necessary tools and equipment for day-to-day maintenance, such as vacuums, hoses, brushes and scoops.

Before the tenancy begins, give your Tenant clear instructions on how to use and care for the pool or spa and the equipment.

A chemical reading check from your local pool shop will provide proof of the water pH balance at the start and end of the tenancy.

Product safety

The mandatory requirements for corded internal window coverings were implemented due to the risk of strangulation to small children through some curtain and blind cord fittings.

This product safety order has particular relevance for lessors, as blinds in rental properties may have been installed before the order was made, so pose a greater risk of strangulation.

You should check that no cords or strings pose a hazard. Consumer Protection encourages Landlords and Property Managers to give Tenants permission to anchor furniture in a bid to protect children.

A hole in a wall can be patched or repaired at the end of a rental agreement but a child’s life cannot be replaced.

In the case of furnished rental properties, Lessors should anchor furniture prior to Tenants moving in.


The keys you give the Tenant should include those to any door, window, garage or letterbox.